Saturday, June 4, 2011

Pure Genius!

Today I was chatting with my awesome sister-in-law Hillary. We were comparing stay-at-home-mom notes and bouncing ideas off each other. Although we both LOVE our day job, sometimes situations arise that stump us both and seem overwhelming.

One of my situations is our play room. It is a constant mess and for the past week I have been battling it out with my kids to get them to clean it. I've threatened, rewarded, punished, etc. You name it, I tried it... to no avail. It was still a huge terrifying mess. Honestly, I'm really surprised no one has twisted an ankle or broken their neck stepping foot in the chaos.

Hillary mentioned that she has paid her kids 1 penny per item picked up.

AHA!!!


THIS WAS MY SOLUTION!!!

We ended our conversation and I immediately gathered the troops. I told them I was going to go to Dollar Tree after dinner and they could buy anything they wanted. The catch: they had to earn any money they spent and they would get 1 penny per item picked up in the toy room. I'm not kidding when I say they jumped up and down, then ran upstairs! I followed them up and when I saw how quick they were working and how much money was adding up, I joined in to bring down my costs...wink,wink. 30 minutes later I have a super clean and organized playroom, 1 happy momma, and 2 happy kids...All for the price tag of $4.90. (Kind of crazy to think that we had 490 items lying around...but those army men, legos and matchbox cars add up fast!!)

Pure Genius! Thanks Hillary!





No comments:

Post a Comment