Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Fires and Devils

We haven't been up to much lately, hence no blog posts. However, last Thursday as I was helping Emma fall asleep for her nap, I kept hearing sirens. I heard them over and over and they didn't seem to trail off. They would get really close, then stop. Sure enough after she was sound asleep I peaked out onto our balcony and this is what I saw.

That's right. Those buildings are across the street from us and there was a fireman on a tall crane spraying a fire! (To clarify, the buildings weren't on fire...the land next to them was.)

I could only see the peak of flames occasionally, but there was definite smoke.

There was another fireman in the distance spraying it from another direction. After about 2 hours they were able to put it all out... but it gave Nate and I something to do during our otherwise uneventful "quiet time." I guess leaving California didn't remove us from fires.


In other news, I've caught the sewing bug again and made the kids some dress up capes. I had a pattern with several options of capes and let them choose which one they wanted as well as the fabric. True to their personalities, Emma chose the queen cape, while Nate chose the devil. (Not that he is a devil, but he sure likes to play devil's advocate sometimes and get into trouble!)
After I sewed the faux fur onto Emma's she said, "Mom, this looks like a Santa cape." I still need to add black "spots."

Nate's pattern included a hood with horns...I'm contemplating making it for Halloween...we'll see. I don't really want to take this TOO far!

No comments:

Post a Comment